Friday, December 14, 2007

How many days left??!!

I have yet to buy a Christmas tree and for some reason my grandmother has taken this personally, like me not buying a tree equates less love for my roman catholic roots. I'm half Jewish and half catholic which meant twice as many presents growing up, and also twice as many religious responsibilities. In fact if you combine all the things you're not supposed to do from the bible and the Torah I think you're left with sitting, standing and sleeping (but not too much sleep lest ye be guilty of sloth) as acceptable activities. Anyways my catholic grandma is demanding to know why I have my menorah out but have yet to buy a Christmas tree. I love Christmas trees, real ones with their piney natural smell decked out in all the ornaments I've hand made or collected over the years, but to be honest I can stash a menorah in the back of my closet in a shoe box and I can't really do that with a Christmas tree. I am caving in to her pressure and Saturday the tree will be bought and decorated.

I started the scarf for Jon from my holiday knitting list and I'm 2/3rds done with the thing already. No pattern is being used, I'm making it up as I go along and I borrowed a stitch pattern from the Vogue Stitchionary Volume 1. Here's a pic I took before I knocked out another 1/3 last night.
P1010013-2
(yes that's Dessie in the background, I couldn't get her off the couch so I could take the pic)
I'm using Debbie Bliss cashmerino chunky and its a lovely yarn, which is also machine washable because if I've learned anything about knitting for men it's that whatever you make them better be able to go through the machine (men do not hand wash!) I only bought 3 balls and its 71 yards each I'm afraid the scarf will be too short and I don't have enough time to order more yarn, but I'm gonna block this sucka out until it begs for mercy.

Next on the holiday knit list, ("HKL") is the Juno sweater for my mom. I finished the back last night and if I can finish the scarf I'll cast on for the front. I hate, hate, hate the Skye Tweed yarn I'm using but it's what I have and my mom loves the color.

For my sister I've added another item to the HKL, the truffle clutch, which is cute and tiny and should be a quick knit and a stash buster.

My coworkers scarf is coming along and I may be able to cross this off the list soon. Its now officially too long for subway knitting.

I received my package for the Art Yarn swap I organized over on craftster and my partner LUBEE spoiled me rotten. Just look at all the goodies she sent to be turned into one fantastic skein of crazy, gnarly art yarn.
P1010015-3
P1010017-2
P1010019-2
I've spun a few art yarns before but I can't wait to see what I can come up with.

I also received my partner for the Secret Ground Hog Bunny Swap (Its a non-denominational holiday swap on Ravelry) but I have no idea how much stuff to send. If anyone out there has participated in a secret partner swap please let me know what is an acceptable package cause I'm a little lost. Thanks in advance!

No comments: