I've been taking photos of Lola for someone's project revolving around fashion week. I thought I'd share the pics here.
And here's the roving I dyed up this weekend for the September Spin-along at ravelry
I used wiltons and natural dyes with alum mordant. I hand painted and wrapped the roving in plastic wrap then shoved it in a ziplock. It microwaved on level 3 for 20 minutes and then it got a warm bath to rinse out the extra. I'm happy with how this came out and I can really see how mordanting makes a difference in the outcome.
I joined the Secret of the Stole KAL and I am hoping to spin the yarn for this kal. I made myself a deal that I will purchase no yarn for the entire month. *suffers withdrawal symptoms* and I will stick to this promise. A stash dive proved futile as I do not have enough lace weight on hand. I have one skien of Valley Alpaca silk, but its the same color as my print o' the waves stole and my two stoles should be different colors! Also a few hundred yards short of the reccomended yardage. What I did have was this lovely soy silk (8oz worth) and I figured if I got spinning now I could have 1200 yards by October 5th. I've never spun soy silk before so I may be over my head but what I have on my bobbin is looking good. I may have to buy size 8 beads to fit the yarn though because as with all handspun I have thick areas.