Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Movin on up!

Rob and I were approved by the co-op board last week so we can finally move out of the dumpy dump that is our current apartment. The living situation in and around NYC leaves much to be desired and unless you have a trust fund or are willing to sleep with someone who has a trust fund finding affordable housing is next to impossible. We found our soon to be new home on craigstlist and though it was a bit more then we wanted to pay we figured we would make the sacrifices in order to live nicer life.

For Rob's birthday I gave him his present early, it was tickets to see the Beastie Boys in Toronto on Friday the 21st. We packed up the car Thursday night for a long ride to Hamburg, a cute little town a few mile outside of Buffalo for our first night's stop. We left the city at 6:45, the delay was caused by my yarn diet lapse. I found myself outside Knitty City on the UWS of Manhattan with a few minutes to spare and the next thing I know I'm buying Austerman Step sock yarn and metal DPNs (doh!) This means I will have to extend the yarn diet to the end of the first week of October so I don't feel too bad for cheating. The yarn will be jaywalkers for Rob so I have something to give him for his Bday. The colorway is light and dark gray with hints of tan and I think that the Jaywalker pattern is manly enough in these colors. Teva Durham was giving a lecture and trunk show while I was in there and I found myself keeping a close distance to hear what she was saying. The next think I know Rob is calling me and telling me to come outside already because he had been waiting 15 minutes (oops!)

It was a long drive to Hamburg, almost 8 hours due to traffic and construction. I was able to finish my fractal stripe socks. (Will post pics and pattern soon.) We stayed in a comfort inn, which had the NICEST hotel bed I have ever slept in, and woke up early for the free eats. We then went back to sleep for a bit before getting back in the car. I was exhausted but since Rob had done all the driving the night before I volunteered to drive to Toronto. We passed into Canada with relative ease and drove past Jellystone National Park (home of Yogi bear and future site of my next vacation!) We made it to Toronto around 1PM and checked into the Park Plaza hotel, which was lovely and in-expensive, but undergoing renovation. I worked on my Kauni for a bit before we set off into the city.

Toronto is a lovely city, clean and bright. Living in NYC for so long has spoiled me on so many other cities, but Toronto was one of the few places I've visited that seemed 'city' enough for me. We headed back to the hotel for a nappy and some knitting, I cast on Rob's new socks as he slept away. And then back to the city for Beastie Boys.

The concert was amazing, they haven't lost touch and they still put on a great performance even though they are all in their forties(!) now. I sipped on a Canadian beer and rocked out to Sabotage which they performed as their finale. Then we cruised around the city looking for good eats at 11 o'clock at night. We found a cute sushi join and tucked into some grub before heading back to the hotel.

The next day we stopped in Niagara to see the falls from the Canadian side, and we rode the Maid of the Mist which was exhilarating and breath taking. I'll post pics soon.

No comments: