Tuesday, April 15, 2008

So Satisfying

There is something magical about a project you start and complete in less then a week. Even if you have to knit like your life depended on it to get it done. When my sister called me two weeks ago to ask what I was getting for our grandmothers birthday she caught me off guard. Of course I remember that my grandma's special day is in April but the way I've been running around I was positive it was still March (it wasn't in fact she called me April 7th so now you know how off my game I am.)

I'm lucky enough to have both my grandmothers around. My fathers mother is a salty progressive up front kind of woman. She'll tell dirty jokes and curse when she feels like it. She's most un-grandmotherly but she's always a riot and I never feel uncomfortable getting drunk with her. My mothers mother, who's birthday I was anticipating, is the exact opposite. As she's gotten on in years she's become increasingly girly, favoring pinks, roses, lace and potpourri, she is what one thinks of when they think grandmother. She loves my fiber work and will wear anything I give her with pride, even if it's not her colors or something she would normally choose herself. I wanted to give her something special, something she would love and I wanted to have it done in time.

DSC00322
Pattern: Little Arrowhead Shawl by Pam Allen (links to PDF)
Yarn: Handspun 3 ply Tencel Merino blend spun from roving from Hanksinthehood
Needles: US 7 Addi Turbo Circs
DSC00326
Notes:
This was a wonderful quick knit. Cast on and off in less then a week. It's a small shawl, and if I had more yarn I probably would have added at least one more repeat but I only spun enough to knit the pattern Exactly. The lace is simple and easy to memorize. The shawl itself needs an good wet blocking even though the pattern suggests a light steam block, I soaked it good and stretched it as much as I could to get mileage out of it. Knitting lace in a DK/Worsted weight is super gratifying because the lace builds quickly and you can see each stitch, this would be an ideal project for a first time lace shawl knitter.
DSC00325
DSC00323

And here's the woman of honor, seated next to her life partner (my grandma is so cool) of 40 years, a man who is 15 years younger then her.
DSC00333
89!! I should look so good when I'm 70

No comments: