Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Insanity

I started and finished the bold and bulky mini cardi from Fitted Knits last week. It was a quick knit, but the sizing is a bit off. I also hate lion brand thick and quick, its just enough wool to not be an acrylic sweater but its enough acrylic to knit like shit. The camera is still dead and the blocking is taking for ever so I'll take pics with the camera phone as soon as its dry.

I cast on for Jellyfish with some beautiful Baby Suri from Blue Sky Alpaca. It has all the halo of a mohair but with suri, merino and bamboo (yes bamboo) its lovely and soft and feels simply dreamy next to the skin.
New Image

I plugged away at the tube top last night. I do not like brown sheep cotton fleece. Its hard to work with and my fingers feel downright arthritic. I tried it on and found that I seem to be having the same issue as many others. The pattern looks nice and fitted on the model in the book but hangs sack like on me. I switched to the smaller needles and completed and extra round of lace to see if I could nip it in a bit so I don't look like some sort of sack monster when I wear it but I'm not sure it was enough. I am down to the last 6 inches of ribbing and even though I knit a size too small for negative ease I will have to add straps as it doesn't appear that the top will stay up on its own.

I spent Friday night in the hospital with my grandma and mother. Grandma was running a high fever and I was pulled out of Hairspray by a frantic phone call from mom. I figured I could get some knitting done while waiting, boy was I wrong. ER's apparently can not give non-patients chairs to sit in so knitting was out, instead I lugged my big knitting bag around with me from floor to floor following grammy for each test she had to have. She is okay, but at 88 you can't take chances so the trip was necessary.

Mom and I drove up to PA saturday evening, stopping at farmers markets along the way. I grilled s rib eye with my own spiced rub and boiled some sweet white corn from the farm stand. My mother ate fried green tomatoes for the first time in her life, but they were cooked by me so I'm sure they weren't authentic.

Here's my recipie for Fried Green Tomatoes
2 Green tomatoes
1 egg
2 tbsp milk
1 tsp jot sauce
1 cup italian bread crumbs
parmesan cheese
peanut oil

Slice the tomatoes into 1 inch thick rounds and place on a dry paper towel to wick away excess moisture.

Beat egg, milk and hot sauce in a bowl and add a bit of pepper to taste.

Pat dry tomato slices and dip in egg mixture.

Shake off excess egg and coat with breadcrumbs.

Fry in a hot pan in 1 tbsp oil until brown, flip and continue to cook until both sides are nicely browned.

Serve hot with shaved parmesan on top for garnish.

If desired roughly chop 1 red tomato, 1 clove garlic and 1/4 vidalia onion and combine, spoon mixture over fried tomatoes.

No comments: